An obituary provides a written notice of a person's death that includes details about their life, family, accomplishments, and funeral arrangements. Writing an obituary can be challenging for many families, especially during a time of grief. However, it is an important way to pay tribute to a loved one and inform the public of their passing. In addition, obituaries have a lasting impact, because they are published in local South Tulsa newspapers, and they become part of genealogy records and websites.
The funeral directors and other staff at Marker Funeral Homes can help you write an obituary. Here are some tips to help you write a detailed and meaningful obituary:
- Gather information: Before you begin writing an obituary, gather as much information as you can about your loved one's life. This includes dates of birth and death, place of birth and death, education, employment history, close family members (living and deceased), and hobbies or interests.
- Start with the basics: Begin the obituary with the person's full name, date of birth and death, and place of birth. This is the most basic information that needs to be included in an obituary.
- Write a tribute: Next, write a tribute to your loved one's life. Highlight their accomplishments, what they meant to you, and any memorable moments or experiences. This part of an obituary serves as an opporunity to celebrate what your loved one is known for and share personal memories about him or her with others.
- Include important details: In the next section, include important details, such as their education, career highlights, and living and deceased family members, including spouse, parents and siblings. This information should describe the person, their family ties, and what they did for a living or in the community. This can include hobbies and volunteer activities so readers will better understand the person's life and the impact they had on those around them.
- Funeral arrangements: The final section should include information about the person's funeral arrangements. This includes the date, time, and location of the funeral or memorial service, as well as any other information relevant to the event. Marker Funeral Homes will always help you with an obituary and the details about visitations, funeral services, memorial services and other arrangements. If a service is planned for a future date, this information can be included so those who want to attend can check back with the funeral home for more information.
- Proofread and edit: Finally, proofread and edit the obituary before submitting it. You may ask another family member to check it over for accuracy of the information in the obituary. Remember to check for grammar and spelling errors, as well. Marker Funeral Homes guides you in this process.
Remember, an obituary is a way to pay tribute to a loved one and share their life story with others. Each obituary serves as a lasting legacy that can be personalized and treasured for generations to come. Marker Funeral Homes encourage South Tulsa area families to take your time writing an obituary. Be thoughtful and respectful and celebrate the life of your loved one in a meaningful way. Our caring staff can guide you in drafting an obituary as you plan a funeral in advance or at the time of need. Please reach out to us using the contact information at the bottom of the page with any questions about preplanning or writing an obituary.